Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pre-Toddler Activity #4: Texture Soup

B is now 16 months old, but still a Pre-Toddler.......in my mind.  Let me quickly clarify my definition of Pre-Toddler (12-18 months).  A 12 to 18 month old child who is new to or learning to walk, but is still learning much about the gross motor skills required to walk, jog, and ascend/descend steps.

As said in previous Pre-Toddler activity posts I have found it more challenging in my research to find activities for children 12-18 months old.  It seems most activities I have found are geared toward children 2+ years old.

Today we are making "Texture Soup" which is more geared toward children > 15 months old or those who have moved/are moving out of the "put everything in their mouth" phase.  This activity can be as messy or as clean as you would like, but I have learned if I prepare myself for the mess I am less irritated by it and my son usually has more fun.

How to make "Texture Soup:"
  • Fill 4-8 small containers with objects of various textures, sizes and purposes. **Watch your children at all times during this activity, as small objects are a choking hazard.**  
  • Provide a large (non-breakable) mixing bowl and a spoon and/or spatula.
  • Open one container at a time allowing your child to explore.
  • If he/she is struggling to grasp the concept demonstrate several times or just let them have fun playing with their new toys
I used: Marbles, String Beads, Foam Peanuts, Seashells, Rice, Paper Clips, Pasta, Coins. Note: Rice = Bad Idea


My son played with texture soup for about 30 minutes.  Like I have said before, any activity that holds my little ones attention greater than 5 minutes is considered a success.




I think the beads were B's favorite part. Although he did enjoy stirring.


Pre-Toddler Activity Tip #1:  Remember, your 12-18 month old changes fast.  What he/she is can't do today may be easy tomorrow, so try again.

View other 12-18 Month Activities:


5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Love all the activities! I need a plastic mixing bowl now!

Courtney said...

I love al these activities you are posting!!! Such creative and educational activities!! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Another great idea! I love how often what I find here are varations of what I am doing because I can jazz things up but A is somewhat familiar with the idea from the get-go :)

Anonymous said...

How fun. I wonder if Carsyn would be able to do this. I may have to modify it a touch.

Lyndsey said...

Thanks for posting these great ideas! My son is 14 months old and I've been looking for activities we can do together on the weekends; I work f/t outside the home and want to give him a bit of a change up from the typical daycare ones he's used to!