Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Truth on Display

Several years ago, before meeting Sam, before the movie came out, I began making a bucket list.  The list has changed, as I have changed, but several of the items I have completed, several have been deleted, several added, and several ongoing.  One of the items was to decorate my home with photos I had taken.  When I began the list, I knew NOTHING about photography.  I still know very little, in the grand scheme of things, but thanks to classes I've taken, tutorials/books I've read, exercises I've completed, and blogs I follow, my photos have significantly improved.  A few months ago, I took photos of my family and absolutely loved them.  I loved what we wore (Click It Up a Notch has a great post about clothing HERE).  I loved the location I had found to shoot the photos (another great Click It Up a Notch post about location HERE).  And I loved the way they turned out.  Therefore, I knew I wanted to display one of them in my home, but not just a normal 8X10 or 11X13.  I wanted something unique.

I started with this photo:
I edited using Photoshop Elements, but I can't recall the specific steps I took to come up with this:
Along with displaying "my" photos in my home I wanted to display God's Word.  This Scripture passage came to mind:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul and with all your strength.
These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.
Impress them on your children. 
Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road,
when you lie down and when you get up.
Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6: 5-8

I, again, went to work in Photoshop Elements.  I added a text box, chose my font, and added Proverbs 24:3-4 to our family photo.  I flattened the image and saved it for the web.  I then uploaded it to Canvas People and ordered an 18X24 canvas print.  

Since receiving my canvas, I have been working on my Photo Wall Display (ideas can be found HERE).  I am not finished, but I thought I would share some photos of the work in progress.


 Please remember it is a work in progress!!

I organized the toys and diapers just for you.  Y'all know it rarely looks this way with a 9 month old roaming around.
.  I took this photo of my sister's family this summer, edited it, added their last name, ordered an 18X24 canvas from Canvas People , and voila, the perfect Christmas gift.

After designing my canvas I came across Katie Lloyd's photography blog.  Each week she hosts Scripture and a Snapshot, which has been a wonderful way to use my hobby...photography...to glorify God.  Connecting a photo I have taken with a verse from God's Word has helped re-ignite my passion for Scripture.  Unfortunately, I have spent months at a time running from God's Word versus running to God's Word.  Katie's challenge, along with the other participants, has helped me crave the Word of God, again.





20 comments:

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

Love the canvas in your home!! So beautiful!

RaD said...

I love the Canvas People! I ordered one for my husband for Christmas and I added a verse too! I completely agree with you on the photo decorating thing. I'd rather have pictures of the people I love hanging on the walls.

SarahinSC said...

I love that canvas! I've never heard of the Canvas People. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

The Thomas' said...

The canvas came out great! I really need to order some...over time I would love to do a little display on the wall of them! Yours makes me want to get on the ball!

Buckeroomama said...

I love your photo wall!! When we first got our place (before kids), I'd started a wall of my favorite travel photos... and then life happened. The wall still only has those 3 photos I'd originally put up. :( Maybe I'll start/continue and add more family photos now... Thanks for sharing yours! =)

Courtney said...

Thanks for the shout out! You know I love this idea!!

Katherine said...

Beautiful edit. Love the canvas :)

heidi @ wonder woman wannabe said...

great job, amber!

i had a canvas made out of a photo taken of our boys for the grandparents christmas gift this year - i love that you added a meaningful scripture to yours!

Jen Skoog said...

I'm so inspired!! You are so talented, and you will be SO happy you are capturing all of these moments with sweet Bennett! Love you!!

katy said...

Seriously, Amber. I am so impressed. :) Reading this post just makes me so happy for Sam to have a wife that truly loves the Lord and seeks to make your house a home. I remember those years when we wondered if Sam would find someone like you. :) The wall is beautiful, and I am going to get to work on convincing Mike to let me order one of those canvases! :)

Randalin @ Harvesting Kale said...

Oooh! I love your photo wall (and the photo's on it!).

Tammy said...

Beautiful photo wall, thank you for sharing! I am just staring my photography journey - it's post like these that inspire me to want to learn more & take better pictures.

Just awesome!

Laura T. said...

Great display. Can I ask where you got those cube shelves? Would they fit scrapbook albums?

Sandy said...

I should have stepped around the corner to see the "family wall" when I stopped in today! Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I need to work on a wall. We have that bookcase and bins too. :)

Amy said...

Your canvas is amazing. I really like it and the wall looks great too!

Amy @ Missional Mama

Sarah Coats said...

Ambo,
I love your photo wall, and am so impressed with your photography skills! I also really like how you are adding scripture to your photos! Very cool! Miss ya!

Kindra said...

This photo of the three of you is definitely my favorite and I LOVE the work of art you've created. It really is so impressive. I'm already thinking ahead about our 6 month photos (taken by you of course) and hoping to have a canvas made too :) I can't wait to see your new wall the next time I'm over!

Summer said...

I love that canvas and the way you hung all your frames on the wall.

wahab said...

What a cool product we focus on Canvas printing that allows users to put photos on canvas but a canvas business card is a great idea.
Canvas printing